Friday, January 28, 2011

The Unnecessary Freezing of Water

    I find myself at odds with the climatic substance known as snow. There wasn't much of it growing up in Texas and when I moved to the northeast, it was with great expectations of it. Snow appeals to my nostalgic ideals and also my enmity. I love it for the very same reasons I can't stand it. For weeks on end it conceals the ugliness of winter, that gray dead that washes out color for too many months. When the snow shimmers under a bright winter sun, it catches my breath. Literally, it does. For with the brilliance of snow and sun come the migraines. It's cruel, really. But then I love staying indoors next to a warm fire, comfortable in my sweaters and houseshoes; then it goes on for weeks. And then I get the bills for the necessity of staying warm. The realities of life quell the joy of snow that is once again fluttering past my windows. Blech.
    So to put a different spin on the snow, here are some things others have said about it.
1. A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water. ~Carl Reiner
2. Advice is like snow - the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper in sinks into the mind. ~Samuel Taylor Coleridge
3. I grew up thinking of snow as a luxury you visit. ~John Landis
4. Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather. ~John Ruskin
5. When it snows, you have two choices: shovel or make snow angels.
6. The future lies before you, like paths of pure white snow. Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.
7. A year of snow, a year of plenty. ~Old French Proverb
8. Don't complain about the snow on your neighbor's roof when your own doorstep is unclean. ~Confucius
9. Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing. ~Phillis Diller
10. I used to be Snow White, but I drifted. ~Mae West (I know, it's not about snow, but it's Mae West!)

Happy Snow Day.



1 comment: