Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sprightly Genes

    There have been many of you that have questioned me about my middle child's astounding capabilities and if you have followed this blog, then you are well aware of what she can do. I want to know, just as much as you do, where the heck this kid gets her craziness. So I've done a little research (i.e. talked to my Grandma). It would appear that Caelan does what she does because of genetics, the genes that she received from my side of the family. I was never like this child, so it must have skipped right passed me. And I'm serious about that gene not showing up in me. I've never broken any bones, never been to the ER for personal reasons and it wasn't until my first c-section that I got stitches (which, ironically was with Caelan). If the stories my Grandma told about herself and my Dad are any indication, we are in for many more 'fun' times. Wrap your head around these stories and see if you can't picure Caelan doing the same thing.
    My Grandma was quite young (probably about Caelan's age) when she went missing from the back yard. She had scaled the 6-8 foot fence that went around the yard and was down the street at her grandparents house. Another time she was found on top of a windmill. That explains oh, so much. My Grandma had a little friend that would cry every time my Grandma came around just because she could run faster and climb anything. My Grandma had three boys and a girl, and among the boys they all had their fair share of injuries from performing crazy stunts. My Dad was about Caelan's age when he fell off a picnic table and nearly cut the end of his nose off completely on a coffee can. My Dad had to wear a football helmet, prescribed by the doctor, because of all the self-inflicted injuries to his head. When my Dad and his brothers were older, there are stories about them 'parachuting' off the barn (it was a bust, literally), stories about trying to fly using a piece of plywood (which one of them was strapped to) tied to the back of a horse with a rope (apparently they only got enough speed up to flip the board over and get the wind knocked out of them). These are only a few of the stories. My Grandma apologized but said that she could vouch for me. When she visited last year, she looked up to see Caelan sitting on top of the elevator. 
    I have to say, though, that if Caelan grows up to be anything like my Grandma, she will be quite a spunky, energetic lady.
  
  The future is looking... full... if not sometimes questionable.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this made me laugh! My uncle jumped off their barn using an umbrella as a parachute! He was miraculously uninjured.

    ReplyDelete