Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Croak

Oh, rest you, merry gentlemen!
Let nothing you dismay;
But be prepared to meet the woes
That come with Christmas Day
Look out! Look out! You winter clothes,
To face the season's ills;
And muster cash and fortitude
To meet your Christmas bills.
And 'tis tidings of comfort and joy.
 ~Robert B. Brough, 1852

    Boxes, bows, tinsel, ornaments, unplaced Christmas cheer litter every available surface and spill onto the floor. A puddle of child-caused gooiness begs for a mop's attention. Of eleven strings of lights, only four work. Gifts sit idly waiting for the moment they are bedecked in jolly green, gold and red paper. Packages need shipping, cards sit in piles waiting for stamps and addresses. Christmas photos have yet to be taken. The girls have made their own mountain out of the laundry for skiing. The culprit from all the disorganization is the disgusting sickness that our household has endured in this first week of December. The Spirit of Christmas is lost in this mess and only Perry Como can induce any kind of joy for what is generally my favorite season, but even that is short-lived.
    Christmas music has been known to play in my home as early as October (okay, maybe even September). The tree has always been up by the end of Thanksgiving weekend. Lights should be glistening in the dark around our front door by now. The autumn wreath is still hanging on the front door. The Christmas wreath uncertain why it still remains in the attic. The Christmas village is still boxed. Of the two gifts I had figured to be a surprise for Keith, he has figured out. One was my fault for leaving the stupid window open on the computer. The other is his fault. For those of you reading this, it is to your benefit not to try to buy something you want for yourself mere weeks before Christmas. Your spouse may try to hint that you are already getting it and if you don't take the hint, they might not be so happy to tell you that they have gotten it. Said husband also left a door open that has been ardently monitored for a week, and Caelan found her 'big' gift.  So not many surprises (which are my favorite part) this year. Well, at least Evelynn should have a surprise or two.
    Desperately wishing I could get into the spirit of things, I watch Evelynn wanting to enjoy every second she can of all things Christmas. "I want to help decorate, can you make snowman cookies, jingle bell-jingle bell-jingle bell rock, I am Santa's Helper- see my hat? Where are the presents that are supposed to go under the tree? There are no toys in the stocking either. I looked. Oh, it sparkles and it's beautiful. Can we watch Rudolf? Can we watch Grinch? Can we listen to Polar Express? Can we listen to Christmas music?  Hearing her sing: I'm wishing on a star and trying to believe, That even though it's far, He'll find me Christmas Eve--- The best time of the year, when everyone comes home, With all this Christmas cheer, it's hard to be alone, Putting up the Christmas tree with friends who come around, It's so much fun when Christmas comes to town." Merry Christmas, Mom. Merry Christmas, Caelan. Merry Christmas, McKenna. Merry Christmas, Dad.
I figure I have four things going for me at this point:  1) The tree is up and decorated 2) I have most of the shopping done. 3) I'm not headed to Dixie's sunny shore this year. 4) Evelynn has enough Christmas Spirit for the whole family.

No comments:

Post a Comment