Saturday, November 6, 2010

Why?

I've determined that "Why?" is the only question Evelynn knows how to use. Day after day, most of our conversations run along the lines of "Why?" and after so many why's, I get somewhat annoyed and flabbergasted. Here's a few from today:
  • Evelynn asked "Why are you making breakfast?" Because it's time to eat. "Why is it time to eat?" Because you need to eat. "Why do I need to eat?" Because that's how God made your body. You have to eat. "Why did God make my body that way?" Because He knows best and that was His plan. "Why does He know best?" Because He does.
  • Evelynn asked "Why did the crocodile chase Captain Hook?" Because he wanted to eat him. "Why did he want to eat him?" Because he thinks he will taste good. "Why does he taste good?" I don't know. "Why don't you know?" Because I'm not the crocodile. I don't know what he thinks. "Why not?"
  • Evelynn asked "Why is McKenna crying?" Because it's naptime. "Why is it naptime?" Because she is tired. "Why is she tired?" Because she has been playing a lot and she's sleepy. "Why has she been playing?" Because that's what kids do. They play. "Why do kids play?" Because they are learning to put things together and learning how to pretend. "Why do we pretend?" Because it's fun. "Why is it fun?" Don't you have fun when you pretend? "Yes, but why do I have fun?" I don't know, why do you have fun?
  • Evelynn asked "Why does Caelan play with me?" Because she has fun with you. "Why does she have fun with me?" Because she does. "But why?" Because she loves you. "Why does she love me?" Because she's your sister and she likes you. "Why is she my sister?" Because...
  • Evelynn asked "Why do I have to clean up?" Because it's messy. "Why is it messy?" Because you got all your toys out. "Why did I do that?" That's a good question, why?
  • Evelynn asked "Why can't I watch a movie?" Because it's bedtime and you need to take a bath. "But I want to watch a movie. Why not?" Because that's not the plan I have for you right now. "Why?" Because the plan is to take a bath and go to bed. "Why do I have to go to bed?" Because it's bed time. "Why is it bedtime?" Because that's what happens at this time every night. You have to go to sleep so you can ask me why again all day tomorrow. "Why do I need to ask you why?" I haven't the faintest idea. "Why don't you know?" I don't know. Why do you always ask why?
  • Evelynn asked "Why do I have to get out of the bath tub?" Because it's time to go to bed. "But I have to take care of my dead cow." Huh? I finally get something besides why and now I find myself asking why. After my own series of 'why's' I realize she thinks being dead is asleep and her pretend cow is asleep. She needs to bathe it. Uhuh. Maybe I should have let her watch a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment