Thursday, November 4, 2010

Skeletons, Sticky Eyeballs and Santa Claus

I have always loved the holidays. For me, they begin with my birthday in September and then it continues until at least New Year's. So I am beyond thrilled that my kids love the holidays, too. Halloween was a holiday that was generally not recognized or celebrated in my family growing up, so it has been somewhat of a new experience. I'm not about the creepy things, but my kids are. Things I consider squeamish are fantastic to my kids.
Caelan found a small, dangly skeleton. She held it up, gave it a gentle shake and was delighted to watch its appendages flop about. "It looks like Jack Skellington. It's wonderful!" she exclaimed before running to show Evelynn. Later Caelan saw a sticky eyeball. "That's an eyeball" she said amazed, "Cool!" Evelynn and Caelan were excited to learn that the eyeballs would stick to doors and walls when thrown. Another round of "Cool!" ensued. I now have two eyeballs staring down upon me from the living room ceiling. The first eyeball up there was thrown by my husband and his children were thus inspired. I'm waiting for other eyeballs to follow.
Yesterday, we were at Target (shocker) and the girls excitedly pointed at all the Halloween items now 75% off. Skeletons, spiders, Frankenstein, witches... they thought everything was 'cool.' And then they saw the tinsel and lights, Rudolph and Santa Claus, and heard Jingle Bell Rock.  I thought we would never make it out of the Christmas aisles. Not that I minded being there. Forget Halloween-- it's time for Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment