Friday, September 9, 2011

The List

    Thank you, Lord, that I have ONE child that likes to go to bed and does so without a fuss... at least not the kind of fuss that is the kicking and screaming refusal of bedtime. Twice a day, McKenna goes to bed, naptime and bedtime. Naptime has lately been initiated by myself, but bedtime, that is never the case. She goes willingly, even grabbing me by the hand and leading me to her room. It's a beautiful moment. It's a victorious moment for me.
    McKenna, however, has a list of items that must be present for her to be in bed and to sleep. Every afternoon and every night we head to her room. Up until recently I put her into her crib, but in the last few days, my preggo tummy is not allowing me that. I'm encouraging her to break routine a little and climb in herself. She's not sure what to think about this because bedtime always happens the same way. Once she's in the crib and laying down, she says "Blanket." In goes her blanket, covering her from feet to neck. She peeks over the edge of the blanket and says "Milk". Into her waiting hands I place her sippy cup. She doesn't drink it at this point. She just looks at me like I should know what comes next. "Monkey, Monkey," she says. This is one of her stuffed animals and by far the most important. She can do without Piglet or her baby in bed with her as long as she has her monkey. I place the monkey next to her, but she's still not ready to drink her milk and go to sleep. "Mooskit," she says. I turn on her MP3 player and place it on the bed. Once the music starts, she's just about ready. She begins drinking her milk, but doesn't break eye contact... my silent cue to turn off the light and leave. And that's it. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment