Saturday, September 24, 2011

Birthday Cake

    Yesterday was my birthday, and other than all the reminders from friends and family, it really didn't seem like a birthday... just another day like any other that I have when Keith is gone. I still don't think I've gotten over the trauma of Caelan's ER visit (see Pills and Gray Hair). It completely wiped me out. Plus three girls, an in utero boy, and an angry dog have all taken their toll on my well-being. Not complaining, but the highs have been high and the lows have reached an all-time low this week. Then my birthday came. Amidst all the wishes of a good day, I was having a hard time seeing past a few negative comments and letting actions of others define my happiness/mood for me... and Evelynn kept telling me that I could not have a birthday without cake.
    There was no way I was making a cake yesterday. I was not motivated to do anything. My kids didn't even sing 'Happy Birthday' to me. I was informed I didn't have a birthday cake. No birthday cake, no birthday. My Edible Arrangements from Keith and my friend Ashley were 'gifts' even though I tried to play them off as 'birthday cake'. Evelynn would not let it go. Yesterday finally ended, and today began on the same note as yesterday in all its negativity. Evelynn began the day, however, by saying in all the arm waving excitement that is Evelynn "Happy Birthday!" I said thanks, but that my birthday was yesterday. Her reply: But you didn't have birthday cake.
    This continued all day. 'Are you going to have a birthday cake today?' 'Can you make a birthday cake?' 'If you have a birthday cake, we can sing to you.' 'You have to have candles, too.' Ok, fine. We went to Giant. Evelynn informed me that because it was my birthday, I got to pick which cake I wanted, but since they were singing, they got to pick the icecream. The 'birthday party' began as soon as we got back to the house. Evelynn got the spoons and the knife while I found some plates. She reminded me once again that I needed candles. Thankfully, she didn't ask me how many I needed. Since the 'party' was in the backyard, there was no need to alert the fire department (they have been in our yard before searching for a fire someone reported because of smoke). Evelynn took a picture of me with my cake and they all sang 'Happy Birthday' to me. Birthday cake does make a birthday. The day ended with my girls (especially Evelynn) making my birthday one I won't forget... even if it was a self-induced day late.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! So next year, let's finally do what we've been threatening to do and combine our birthdays into one massive party. You bring your 6, we'll bring our 10, and we'll put out all our combined candles with the hose. :)

    ReplyDelete