Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"Don't you have something to clean?"

    Whispers from Caelan's room: "Put that basket over there... yeah," "Ok, put all the pillows right there." "There's not enough pillows, where are the stuffed animals?" "Ok, try that." "It's too far away." "Ok, I'll move it closer." "Now it's too close." "Ok, I'll move it." "You want to jump first?" "No, you do it." "It's still too far away." "Ok, I'll try it."
    Enough to pique anyone's interest right? Especially if you're me.
    "Mom, why are you looking at me?" asked Evelynn, standing in an empty basket in the middle of the room.
    "No reason, just looking at my girls." I see Caelan crouched on the edge of her bed.
    "Oh, ok. Can you stop looking at me now?"
    "Uh, sure..."
    "You're still looking at me. Don't you have something to clean?"

Nice. I have the feeling they are up to something. I move away from the door, pretending to leave. I hear her start moving again as she says "It's too close now, I'm going to move it further away." I lean a little towards the door and she sees me again.
    "You're still looking at me, Mom."
    "Yes, I am."
    "Why?"
    "I'm not sure any more. What are you doing?"
    "Just playing."
    "Ok."
    "I have an idea. We will play while you bake us some cookies."

Uhuh. Sounds like a great idea. They are definitely up to something. I pretend to leave again, but tiptoe back to the door, staying just out of sight.
    "It's not big enough." "Yes, it is." "No, it's not." "It's not soft enough yet." "Yes, it is." "You try it." "No, it's too far."
I peek around the corner. Both girls are standing on the footboard of Caelan's bed. The object that is too far is a large basket with some stuffed animals and a couple of small pillows, and yes, it is too far away from the bed and lacks enough cushion to break the fall of a jump. Oh, my. Potential injury averted. Let's not jump off the bed into the basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment