Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Impish, Definition: Caelan

I have yet to grasp a way to define my Caelan in written word. Her list of adjectives and characteristics seems infinite. 'Impish' is the latest word I have added to the list. What else can I say when I see that glint of mischief in her eyes? She is queen of the deadpan stare down, but her eyes tell a story of their own. You can see the laughter, the ideas, the plans, the devilish pranks but very rarely can you see the logic (it's all her own) or predict what she will do next. Every once in a while I get the feeling that she's about to do something, but whatever that is, I still have no clue in figuring it out beforehand. Very rarely can I read the plans that she has in mind.

A couple of days ago, I sat down to sort the mail but soon found Caelan in my lap instead. Facing me, she had the deadpan 'I'm about to do something' look. I know because she has a small dimple at the corner of her mouth. This is the only physical outward sign that she's up to something. She doesn't always have it except in moments when her plans are too joyous for her to contain. No smiling, no laughter-- just a dimple and shining eyes. I stared back. We watched each other for about five minutes. Her eyes never shifting from my face and the dimple ever present. I finally began to catch on. "You better not lick me, Caelan." She giggled. Aha! I was exultant that I knew what she was doing before actually doing so. She immediately regained her composure. No giggles and still watching me. I had the hardest time not laughing. For whatever reason, Caelan thinks it's hilarious to lick people who are least expecting it.

We watched each other for another five minutes or so. I now can visualize the meaning of 'dancing eyes.' Her eyes were swimming in mirth. "I'm serious," I said not adept at keeping my smile and laughter in check, "Do not lick me." Her eyes never left my face and she giggled again. A few more minutes passed. Evelynn walked in and asked me something. Turning to answer Evelynn, I felt my middle child's tongue licking me from my jaw, up my cheek, my temple and then my forehead. Her laughter was uncontainable. She was beside herself. She had conquered time and patiently waited for her one moment to fulfill her plan. Yes, impish.

No comments:

Post a Comment