Monday, April 26, 2010

The Beauty of Childhood

Why are we so in awe of the imaginations of children? At one time we experienced the fantasies, the dreams. Somewhere in our formative years we were led to believe we should let go of those ideas; they weren't real. That there are more important things to think of. That the responsibilities of life are far more important than our dreams. I think we are in awe because we want to experience a free imagination again, an imagination not encumbered by duty or what's feasible.

Evelynn spent a couple of hours today in dreamland, and while it's so simple, I want to go there.

"Mom, I want to live in a castle. I need a small door though, to fight the bad guys. And I need a sword, like Frodo, so I can hit the bad guys. And I need something for my tummy. How about Princess Snacks? Can Caelan live in the castle with me? Caelan do you want to come in? Mama will make you a castle. I need a red castle. Nevermind, I need a pink castle. And Daddy can live there, too, so he can hit the bad guys with his sword. And I need a forest and I will eat berries. I will walk in the forest. Want to come with me? I need friends in my castle. My name is Evelynn and I'm the princess. No, I'm the queen because I want a crown. I need a yellow crown, 'cause I might need to be mad sometimes. But I won't always be mad. I will be happy. Can my friends come in the forest with me? But we can't play right now because it's raining in the forest. Chaucer can live in my castle, too, and play in my forest. McKenna can play, too. Caelan will be a princess. Maybe she can be a queen like me? And she could have a crown. I have to make her crown. And I have my hedgehog. He will live with me in my castle. He has fire in his eyes. His name is Fire Hedghog. You can pet my hedgehog. Be careful, he can stick you. I love my hedgehog. Come on Mom, we're going to my castle."

When do we leave? I'll be there.


"If you have built castles in the sky
Let not your dreams go to waste;
Just build the foundations under them."

— Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment